Managing Director, NDN Action
President & CEO
Rapid City, SD
Rolling basis until position is filled
Who We Are
NDN Collective is an ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests inIndigenous Peoples by scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power toIndigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants by 2020.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, along with other NDN Action staff, in the development and implementation of policy advocacy priorities and strategy.
- Lead in development of coalition building strategies and supporting the cultivation of key relationships.
- Provide reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance to NDN Collective leadership on legislative activities at the tribal, city, state, and federal levels.
- Analyze proposed legislation and recommend appropriate actions.
- Draft testimony, correspondence, regulatory comments, and other documents.
- Prepare witnesses for testimony to legislative bodies.
- Tracks emerging issues that may first arise at the state level.
- Work with NDN Collective’s Communications staff to develop and disseminate materials regarding legislative and regulatory developments to relevant constituencies.
- When appropriate, serves as a point of contact to the Communications Team regarding press releases, social media, and cultivating working relationships with media representatives that directly impact policy advocacy efforts.
- Work with NDN Collective’s President & CEO, Director of Finance and Director of Advancement to develop and implement the annual NDN Action budget.
- Supervises the NDN Action Organizers, including day-to-day management, performance reviews, etc.
- Travel extensively, at times, for the position.
- Performs all other duties as assigned and necessary.
Who You Are
Education, Experience, Skills
- Education requirements include a Juris Doctorate (JD), Master’s degree, or a Bachelor’s degree in combination with experience leading and managing people and projects in policy advocacy.
- Experience in organizing around climate justice, environmental justice, racial equity and education equity and how these issues intersect with indigenous issues.
- Understanding of Indigenous rights, climate justice, environmental justice, racial equity and education equity political landscapes and an ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Understanding of and commitment to social change through building the capacity and power of people to change their communities and to participate directly in changing public policies.
- Understanding of organizational management, strategic planning and operations, and supervising employees as part of a strong team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven track record in accomplishing major legislative, regulatory and policy agendas of similar size and complexity.
- Excellent advocacy, consensus-building and coalition-building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with other staff and other organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with relevant policy partners (government, policy organizations, academic institutions, etc.) and individuals across the political spectrum.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of relevant tribal, local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations, and the ability to interpret and apply them in advancing policy change objectives.
- Ability to be able to work independently when required but also in a strong and diverse team-oriented approach to advocacy.
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs for:
- Word processing
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client. As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Managing Director, NDN Action – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
· As a single PDF attachment, include:
o Your resume
o 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
o Short answers to the following three questions:
§ What is your philosophy about direct action?
§ What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
§ What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
· In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.