Director of Advancement
Rolling basis until position is filled
Reporting to and in partnership with the President & CEO, the Director of Advancement will spearhead advancement efforts as NDN Collective launches and grows to become the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. The Director of Advancement will lead a team of NDN staff and consultants to ensure we reach our fundraising goals each year, ensuring the organization is financially resourced to carry out our mission and goals.
Who We Are
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigneous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoplesby dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples.We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants by 2020.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute NDN Collective’s development strategy
- Secure financial support from foundations, individuals, and corporations
- Build and maintain ongoing relationships with donors
- Represent NDN Collective’s work in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Investigate possibilities for new funding opportunities, including research and outreach to prospective donors
- Manage the Customer Relations Management (CRM)/fundraising software and complete data entry, processing, and reporting
- Develop and track proposals to funders and complete all necessary reporting
- Oversee the creation of fundraising and marketing materials
- Build and manage the Advancement Team, including working with and managing consultant
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience, and ranges from $60,000 – $120,000. This broad range reflects NDN Collective’s goal of attracting a diverse set of candidates for the position. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
Who You Are
Education and Experience
- Five or more years of development experience with a nonprofit organization, preferably with an annual budget of over $10M
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Indigenous Peoples and communities
- Proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation
- Commitment to continuous improvement and ability to learn from successes and failures
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be flexible when necessary
- Demonstrated understanding of program development and program effectiveness
- Strong project management and attention to deadlines
Knowledge and Experienc
- Exceptionally strong communications skills with the ability to create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and experience with one or more fundraising software, such as Salesforce or DonorPerfect
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into action. You have a proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations. You learn from your successes and failures and improve processes to drive our fundraising.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are an exceptionally strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations. You have experience using this strength in securing funds for nonprofits.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up. You are excited by the opportunity to come in and have a heavy hand in shaping our development operations.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed.
How To Apply
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Advancement – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following three questions:
- What is your philosophy about fundraising?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.