Position Title: Research and Evaluation Manager
Reports To: Director of Research and Evaluation
NDN Collective is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds the power of Indigenous Peoples, Communities, and Nations to exercise our inherent right to self-determination, while fostering a world that is built on a foundation of justice.
NDN Partners, the for-profit arm of NDN Collective increases the capacity and skills of Indigenous led organizations, communities, people, tribes, and movements to be able to successfully utilize systems thinking and design thinking to defend, develop, and decolonize our people and planet.
Reporting to the Director of Research and Evaluation, the Research and Evaluation Manager will contribute to NDN Collective’s overall success by supporting research and evaluation efforts to understand and continuously evolve how the NDN Collective ecosystem of organizations drives social change. This success will be achieved by effectively managing all aspects of research, evaluation, monitoring, and data systems and projects for the Research and Evaluation team in collaboration with the ecosystem’s entities. The position supports the ecosystem in operationalizing its Theory of Change, aligning critical frameworks and organizing documents that inform the work, Indigenizing research and evaluation practice to suit the ecosystem’s needs, and providing data for decision-making.
WHO We ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous Peoples in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led CDFI to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage research, evaluation, monitoring, data, databases, data security, reporting systems, technology, and resources per policies and procedures.
- Facilitate linking data across databases and provide technical support.
- Manage the collection, entry, cleaning, analysis, synthesis, reporting, and security of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Manage routine data collection efforts including baseline analyses, stakeholder interviews, monthly reporting systems, and surveys.
- Assist in planning reflection sessions for teams and advisory groups to facilitate the use of data, socialize the Theory of Change, and surface research and evaluation opportunities and needs.
- Prepare, edit, and deliver documents, presentations, visuals, and reports for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Regularly work to decolonize/Indigenize research and evaluation approaches and streamline and improve operations.
- Communicate and work effectively and collaboratively with other staff and teams within the NDN Collective ecosystem.
- Assist staff and teams within the NDN Collective ecosystem to create and implement research and evaluation plans and tools that align to NDN Collective’s mission and organizing documents, identify indicators and measure performance, provide timely and accurate reports, and inform decision-making to demonstrate, deepen, and amplify our impact.
- Support NDN Collective’s research and evaluation team and work in any other areas as needed.
- Ensure the Director of Research and Evaluation is fully aware of all activities, issues, and progress.
- Other duties as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in a related field required (PhD. preferred).
- Minimum 3-4 years of relevant research and evaluation experience including proposal writing, project design and management, knowledge management, budgeting, qualitative and quantitative approaches, data collection, data analysis/syntheses, interpretation, developing and applying tools, reporting, and disseminating findings.
- Experience conducting research and/or evaluations using both colonized and decolonized/Indigenous approaches.
- Experience using software and platforms to manage research and evaluation tasks, collect and manage data, analyze qualitative and quantitative data, and link data across platforms.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven research, evaluation, monitoring, quantitative and qualitative data analysis/synthesis, and data management knowledge, skills and abilities from a relevant background.
- Ability to create data collection tools, link datasets across database platforms, and automate analysis.
- Ability to manage data security, confidential information, and human subjects protections.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to write within specific editorial styles, such as APA style. Fluency in spoken and written English required.
- Ability to prepare and deliver exceptional quality reports, presentations, and visuals to a variety of audience types internal and external to the organization.
- Ability to manage complex systems, resources and coworker/team relationships to meet tight deadlines and ensure effective collaboration at all levels of the organization.
- Methodical approach, organizational and project management skills, and ability to multi-task and handle tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated professionalism with good judgment and decision-making capability, grace, a proactive approach, and a sense of humor.
- Able to work independently at a remote worksite with minimal supervision.
- Appreciation of and motivation to advance the NDN Collective mission and vision.
- You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into action.
- You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations.
- You are a strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations.
- You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up.
- You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed and excel in a remote worksite.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Research and Evaluation Manager – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following questions:
- How does your indigeneity inform your current work and your interest in the position?
- What is your philosophy about Indigenous research and evaluation?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- NDN Collective conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.