Public Relations Officer
Rolling basis until position is filled
The Public Relations Officer will build and maintain a positive public image for the NDN Collective President & CEO. This high-profile position acts as the primacy media contact for the President & CEO, creating and managing communications and messaging that shape public opinion and increase awareness of the NDN brand through the lens of the President & CEO. The Public Relations Officer will report to the President & CEO and work in partnership with the Director of Advancement.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants by 2020.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the President & CEO’s media relations, including pitching stories to media outlets (television, radio, publications), and responding to requests for information.
- Writes press/media releases, manages social media and blogs, and reports on outcomes of these activities for the President & CEO.
- Writes articles from the President & CEO for the newsletter, website and for online and print publications.
- Uses PR technology tools to monitor and report on news related to the organization and its mission and the President & CEO.
- Reports on PR effort outcomes for the President & CEO, such as number of on-air appearances, number of pitches made, number of articles written, etc.
- Coordinates President & CEO’s public appearances and writes speeches, presentations, slide decks, talking points and other materials.
- Prepares and edits organizational publications, including the Annual Report, for internal and external audiences.
- Other tasks as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
Education, Experience, Skills
- Bachelor’s degrees in fields such as journalism, public relations, marketing or communications.
- Significant communications experience.
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment.
- Ability to support senior leaders as spokespersons.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think both creatively and strategically.
- Knowledge of consumer marketing.
- Ability to attract media, and creativity in securing coverage as well as long-term interest with traditional and social media outlets and platform.
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- Ability to work equally well work on big strategy and day-to-day tasks.
- Responds well under pressure with strict time limits.
- Quick and enthusiastic learner.
Proficiency in the use of computer programs for:
- Word processing
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into action. You have a proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations. You learn from your successes and failures and improve processes to drive our fundraising.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are an exceptionally strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations. You have experience using this strength in securing funds for nonprofits.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up. You are excited by the opportunity to come in and have a heavy hand in shaping our development operations.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Public Relations Officer– [YOUR NAME].” As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following four questions:
▪ What is your philosophy about public relations?
▪ What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
▪ What is the best advice you ever received?
▪ What does decolonization and building Indigenous power mean to you?
In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.