Position Title: Project Manager, NDN Holdings
Location: Rapid City Highly Preferred, or nearby area
Reports to: NDN Holdings Managing Director
Application Deadline: Rolling basis until position is filled
NDN Collective is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds the power of Indigenous Peoples, Communities, and Nations to exercise our inherent right to self-determination, while fostering a world that is built on a foundation of justice.
NDN Holdings, the for-profit arm of NDN Collective increases the capacity and skills of Indigenous led organizations, communities, people, tribes, and movements to be able to successfully utilize systems thinking and design thinking to defend, develop, and decolonize our people and planet.
The Project Manager is directly responsible for organizing, supervising, scheduling & planning of multiple internal construction and development projects to maximize cost efficiency and motivate contractors to complete each project assigned on time and under budget. This key position also provides technical expertise on site cost estimates, negotiate contracts and change orders, and establish project objectives as part of the NDN Eco-system, internally and externally.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
WHAT SETS US APART
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the NDN Holdings Managing Director and Program Associate in construction project management and and is directly responsible for organizing, supervising, scheduling & planning of multiple internal construction and development projects to maximize cost efficiency and motivate contractors to complete each project assigned on time and under budget. Provide technical expertise on site cost estimates, negotiate contracts and change orders, and establish project objectives
- Oversee cost control to include monitoring the preparation of contract documents, budgets, scheduling, contracting, and processing of invoices.
- Manage and monitors work of subcontractors; provides follow up to ensure completion of work and accurate, timely deliveries.
- Understand scope of work included in the original pro forma budget and advise management of revisions that may be necessary.
- Monitor plan development and specifications for cost effectiveness.
- Coordinate all Architect and Engineer designs, review both Architect’s and Engineer’s plans for adequate details of good quality and conduct design review meetings.
- Ensure building code compliance.
- Responsible for any delays, emergencies and problems that can arise.
- Report project progress and budgets to internal and external stakeholders.
- Explain contract and technical matter to others in a clear manner.
- Prepare budget and cost estimates, along with work timetables.
- Supervise the work of laborers, mechanics etc. and give them guidance when needed.
- Evaluate progress and prepare detailed reports.
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues.
WHO YOU ARE
Education, Experience, Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred with 1-2 year of professional experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of commercial project management experience. Retail building experience is highly preferred.
- Must have new ground-up construction experience.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- A strong analytical thought process with sound judgment and a keen attention to detail.
- Must be a self-starter with a collaborative spirit.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, results-driven, with ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience working with Microsoft Windows or Gmail Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), database development experience a plus!
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong ability and desire to work in a team environment which may include remote/virtual work.
- Strong motivation and ability to take initiative.
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into Partners. You have a proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations. You learn from your successes and failures and improve processes to drive our fundraising.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are an exceptionally strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations. You have experience using this strength in securing funds for nonprofits.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up. You are excited by the opportunity to come in and have a heavy hand in shaping our development operations.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience, at GS level 11, ranging from $57,000 to $75,000. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, sick leave, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Project Manager, NDN Holdings – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following three questions:
- What is your philosophy about policy advocacy?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.