NDN Fund Loan Officer
NDN Fund Managing Director
Remote work options possible
Open until filled
About NDN Fund
NDN Collective established NDN Fund, an emerging national Native Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). NDN Fund provides large-scale lending capital for projects in the areas of :
- Renewable Energy
- Community Development projects, including affordable housing
- Infrastructure, focusing on water, ecological wastewater, broadband, roads, etc.
- Social Enterprise, focusing on innovative business ideas with clear social benefits and the ability to scale. Our goal is to move $100 million to development projects across our Indigenous communities, with clients including: Native Nations, Native CDFIs, Native non-profits, and Indigenous businesses.
Reporting to NDN Fund Managing Director, the NDN Fund Loan Officer is primarily responsible for originating, underwriting, closing, and monitoring loans that promote NDN Collective’s Theory of Change and NDN Fund’s resilient and regenerative lending principles. The Loan Officer will work both the Managing Director, other NDN Collective staff, and partners to prepare financing packages that include other sources of capital, i.e. grants, tax credits, federal loan guarantees to provide clients with the “right capital for the right project.” The position provides the candidate with the opportunity to help build the organization’s lending strategy, be at the forefront of new capital solutions, and support innovative projects led by Indigenous communities.
Who We Are
NDN Collective is an ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) to move $100M of for-profit investment into large-scale projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
Development of Lending Program
- Work with the Managing Director to develop an annual capital budget and lending strategy.
- Work with the Managing Director to develop loan policies and procedures consistent with NDN Collective’s Theory of Change and NDN Fund’s resilient and regenerative lending principles.
- Create specialized loan products and services across NDN Fund’s primary lending areas and to increase the responsiveness to unmet market needs.
- Help identify and prioritize projects that are ready for investment.
- Support the Managing Director in putting together blended capital options for projects with other financing partners.
- Assist in the preparation of eventual application for CDFI certification from the U.S. Treasury’s CDFI Fund.
Loan Origination and Relationship Management
- Originate loans which are consistent with NDN Collective’s mission and in compliance with NDN Fund’s loan policies and capital resources.
- Actively maintain and cultivate relationships with new and existing clients, financial partners, referral sources, developers, and greater community development networks.
- Regularly bring new clients and projects across NDN Fund’s primary lending areas.
- Work with the Managing Director, other NDN Collective staff, and partners to put together capital packages that include loan participations, grants, tax credits, federal loan guarantees, etc.
- Help negotiate terms and prepares promissory notes for new and renewing investors.
- Represent NDN Collective and NDN Fund at targeted meetings, conferences, workshops and other activities to increase visibility and presence in Indigenous communities and the industry.
- Maintain relationships with partnering organizations, professionals, and key stakeholders to increase NDN Collective and NDN Fund’s support network.
Loan Underwriting and Closing
- Work with clients to gather financial, operational, and organizational materials in preparation of loan applications.
- Conduct loan and project due diligence, which may include financial management, and impact analyses, pricing analysis, environment and market assessments, program evaluation and discussion of project impact and outcomes.
- Prepare Credit Approval Memorandum and present the final credit proposal to the Loan Committee.
- Maintains accurate loan committee meeting minutes.
- Work with NDN Collective staff and outside legal counsel on preparation of commitment letters, as well as review of final closing documents.
- Work with clients and the Managing Director to review and process loan advances.
- As needed, provide technical assistance to clients in structuring their financing.
Loan Portfolio Management
- Review credit quality of existing loans in accordance with NDN Fund’s policies and procedures, including quarterly loan reports and financial statements.
- Address in an appropriate manger any credit quality issues of existing loans to mitigate potential losses, including structuring loan modifications.
- Completes quarterly and annual loan monitoring reports, identifying possible technical assistance needs for each client.
- Maintains all physical and digital loan files for NDN Fund’s clients and investors.
- Responsible for all organizational reporting and compliance with the U.S. Treasury’s CDFI Fund.
- Conduct a periodic review of loan policies and procedures with the Managing Director and recommend any needed changes.
Any other duties as assigned by NDN Fund Managing Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in business, or related field, preferred.
- 5 years of experience in commercial lending and portfolio management, with experience in affordable housing and federal loan programs a plus.
- Proficient in computer applications, including spreadsheets and databases. [Once software chose
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong financial and analytical skills.
- Willingness to travel.
This position is salaried and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
How to Apply
Send an email to Nikki Love (email@example.com) with the subject line “NDN Fund Loan Officer– [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume and 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following three questions:
- What is your philosophy about large-scale lending in Indigenous Communities?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client. As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.