Position Title: Graphic Designer
Application Deadline: Rolling basis until position is filled
NDN Collective is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds the power of Indigenous Peoples, Communities, and Nations to exercise our inherent right to self-determination, while fostering a world that is built on a foundation of justice.
The Graphic Designer creates digital and print materials for the NDN Collective ecosystem following NDN Collective brand guidelines. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the ideal candidate has a strong political awareness and articulation of Indigenous issues with experience creating graphic design materials for Indigenous-led campaigns, narratives, and/or projects.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and design various materials for print and digital collateral following NDN Collective brand guidelines, including but not limited to social media graphics, SEO marketing materials, newsletter graphics, etc.
- Work with NDN copywriters and Creative Director to produce final design
- Amend designs after feedback
- Test graphics across various media platforms
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are visually appealing and on-brand
- Ensure projects are completed with high quality and on schedule
- Establish creative direction for the organization as well as brand guidelines
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions
- Perform retouching and manipulation of images
- Work with a wide range of media and use graphic design software
WHO YOU ARE
Education, Experience, Skills
- Proven work experience as a Graphic Designer
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in graphic arts, design, communications, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and the web
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred
- Compelling portfolio of work over a wide range of creative projects
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent eye for detail
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up skills.
- Responds well under pressure with strict time limits.
- Quick and enthusiastic learner.
Proficiency in the use of computer programs for
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Other graphic design software
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into action. You have a proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations. You learn from your successes and failures and improve processes to drive our fundraising.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are an exceptionally strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations. You have experience using this strength in securing funds for nonprofits.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up. You are excited by the opportunity to come in and have a heavy hand in shaping our development operations.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Graphic Designer – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Graphic design work samples or portfolio
- Short answers to the following questions:
- What is your philosophy about graphic design?
- What do decolonization and building Indigenous power mean to you?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- NDN Collective conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.