Position Title: Director of Advancement
Application Deadline: Rolling basis until position is filled
Reporting to and in partnership with the President & CEO, the Director of Advancement will spearhead advancement efforts as NDN Collective launches and grows to become the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. The Director of Advancement will lead a team of NDN staff and consultants to ensure we reach our fundraising goals each year, ensuring the organization is financially resourced to carry out our mission and goals.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous Peoples in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led CDFI to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute NDN Collective’s development strategy
- Secure financial support from foundations, individuals, and corporations
- Build and maintain ongoing relationships with donors
- Represent NDN Collective’s work in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Investigate possibilities for new funding opportunities, including research and outreach to prospective donors
- Manage the Customer Relations Management (CRM)/fundraising software and complete data entry, processing, and reporting
- Develop and track proposals to funders and complete all necessary reporting
- Oversee the creation of fundraising and marketing materials
- Build and manage the Advancement Team, including working with and managing consultants
- Other duties as required.
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of development experience with a nonprofit organization, preferably with an annual budget of over $10M
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Indigenous Peoples and communities
- Proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation
- Successful donor relationship experience. Ability to create new and maintain long standing relationships with funding partners.
- Grant proposal writing experience, with success securing foundation, state and federal grants
- Prior grant management experience with a non-profit, government agency, or other entity
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the public in a mission-drive organization
- A solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grants, and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in budgets for grant proposal
- Demonstrated ability to assess qualitative and quantitative outcome data and to provide coaching and technical assistance to grantees to help them achieve exemplary results
Knowledge and Skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and ability to learn from successes and failures
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be flexible when necessary
- Demonstrated understanding of program development and program effectiveness
- Strong project management and attention to deadlines
- Exceptionally strong communication skills with the ability to create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and experience with one or more fundraising softwares such as Salesforce or DonorPerfect
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Strategic thinking, able to conceptualize, lead and execute complex projects and effectively convey their impact to various audiences
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines and objectives
- Strength in collaboration as part of a team to move projects forward in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding research, analytical skills
- Outstanding partnership development skills
- Success in persuasive writing and experience developing complex communications projects
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and a track record of successful fundraising
- Experience directing, motivating, developing, and supervising staff and/or contractors
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into Partners. You have a proven track record of successfully building or sustaining a nonprofit fundraising operation.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations. You learn from your successes and failures and improve processes to drive our fundraising.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are an exceptionally strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations. You have experience using this strength in securing funds for nonprofits.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up. You are excited by the opportunity to come in and have a heavy hand in shaping our development operations.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience, at a ES 5 level with a salary ranging from $135,000 to $161,000 Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “INSERT JOB TITLE – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following questions:
- How does your indigeneity inform your current work and your interest in the position?
- What is your philosophy about fundraising?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- NDN Collective conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
Note: Please apply to one position only.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.