Position Title: Digital Organizer
Location: Rapid City, SD or Regional Area Preferred
Reports To: NDN Action Managing Director
NDN Collective is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that builds the power of Indigenous Peoples, Communities, and Nations to exercise our inherent right to self-determination, while fostering a world that is built on a foundation of justice.
The Digital Organizer will be responsible for building relationships with important community stakeholders including non-traditional partners through targeted outreach efforts. They will also be responsible for mobilizing activists and interested community members to participate in grassroots actions that support NDN Collective’s climate justice, racial equity and education equity advocacy programs and campaigns through informational presentations and the organization’s digital communications platforms including websites, social media platforms, podcast, blog, email management software.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is an ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely and in partnership with NDN Collective Communications and Narrative Strategy Team.
- Builds relationships with important community stakeholders including non-traditional partners, through targeted outreach efforts via Action Network and other organizing mechanisms.
- Mobilizes activists and interested community members to participate in grassroots actions that support NDN Collective’s advocacy programs though informational presentations, digital media, and email via Action Network and other organizing mechanisms.
- Creates and manages campaign petitions, fundraisers, email campaigns, and other functions in Action Network.
- Creates, edits, and publishes content on the organization’s digital communications platforms including websites and blogs, working closely with Website Content Manager.
- Creates, edits, and publishes content social media platforms, working closely with Social Media Manager.
- Supports creation and management of campaign podcasts, working closely with podcast development team.
- Supports the maintenance of campaign websites, working closely with web development team.
- Engages followers on all social platforms through follow-up on comments and direct messages in meaningful ways.
- Communicates with our list of supporters to offer them opportunities to contribute to our campaigns.
- Brainstorms new fundraising campaigns.
- Grows our base of supporters online.
- Measures the success of every social media campaign.
- Acts as the primary writer of fact sheets, public comment letter templates, FAQs, talking points, etc. for public processes on NDN Collective’s issues, and distributes these materials to the public.
- Organizes, promotes, and facilitates community volunteer events.
- Collects participation data from all outreach events and accurately summarizes the data in appropriate databases.
- Represents NDN Collective at key stakeholder meetings and public process events such as forums, public hearings and meetings.
- Ensures the principles of climate justice, landback, racial equity, and education equity are infused in our work by bringing underrepresented Indigenous voices into the conversation to more effectively address the complex issues that threaten Indigenous Peoples and communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHO YOU ARE
Education, Experience, Skills
- At least 1 year of professional experience in digital organizing and/or community organizing
- At least 1 year of professional experience in community advocacy, public policy, political campaigns and/or environmental science.
- At least 1 year of experience in effectively and professionally communicating and forming relationships with other environmental and social justice communities and organizations; constituents, staff, and elected officials of Tribal nations; academic organizations; regulatory agency staff, and; elected officials from City, County, State, and Federal governments.
- Proven record of inclusive engagement; demonstrated competency working with diverse cultures; ability to build trust and create authentic relationships with a diverse range of people; ability to deal respectfully and constructively with people of divergent opinions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in clear, effective written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to create informative, persuasive messaging pieces like brochures, talking points, email and social media campaigns, or comment letters.
- At least 1 year of experience developing, executing, measuring and reporting success of advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and relay information from technical documents like environmental impact statements, land use plans, or water quality permits, for example, to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, such as managing multiple campaigns while meeting deadlines for reporting on other projects.
- Desire to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary and diverse team; a highly organized, curious, and laid-back demeanor works well in our virtual office.
- Desire and ability to learn quickly, be creative and flexible in day-to-day work, take initiative and exercise sound judgement in making decisions and completing projects.
Proficiency in the use of computer programs for:
- Word processing
- Action Network
- ACTIVATOR: You are a self-reliant person and are strong at making things happen by turning thoughts into action.
- LEARNER: You have strong learning agility and are able to rapidly understand and analyze new situations.
- COMMUNICATOR: You are a strong communicator who can create high-quality materials and deliver compelling messages and presentations.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: You are ambitious and creative and enjoy the process of building something from the ground up.
- SOCIALLY & EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT: You are able to work efficiently and respectfully with others. You understand how individuals, groups, and societies work and you build rapport through being trustworthy and empathetic.
- DETAIL ORIENTED: You strive for perfection and are able to move from the high level of a project to its smallest details.
- FLEXIBLE: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible when it is necessary. You are willing to travel when needed and excel in a remote worksite.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Digital Organizer – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include:
- As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following questions:
- What is your philosophy about the importance of the position?
- What do decolonization and building Indigenous power mean to you?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- NDN Collective conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.