Position Title: Controller
Application Deadline: Rolling basis until position is filled
Location: Rapid City, SD Headquarters Office
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller contributes to NDN Collective’s overall success by effectively overseeing the day-to-day financial activities for the NDN Ecosystem including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll.
WHO WE ARE
NDN Collective is the most ambitious, systemic effort to empower Indigenous communities in the history of philanthropy. We are creating a paradigm change in how society invests in Indigenous Peoples by dramatically scaling up investment and shifting decision-making power to Indigenous Peoples. We are doing four key things to create a new ecosystem that supports Indigenous self-determination:
- We are dramatically increasing philanthropic investment into Indigenous-led organizations, with the goal of giving out $50M per year in grants by 2020.
- We are creating an Indigenous-led Community Development Financial Institution to move $100M of for-profit investment into projects led by and serving Indigenous communities.
- We are building capacity in Indigenous communities to be able to absorb this new influx of capital.
- We are advocating for Indigenous rights and policy changes that will enable our peoples and communities to thrive.
What Sets Us Apart
- We represent the people we serve—we are Indigenous-led and support Indigenous people and organizations
- We think in systems and recognize the interconnectedness of all living things
- We are changemakers that have and model a mindset of abundance
- We believe in the power of Indigenous self-determination to create a just, equitable world for all people and the planet
- We integrate culture and ceremony into our work
- We acknowledge and pay respects to our elders and past while taking ownership and control of our future
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- The Controller performs a wide range of duties:
- Accounts Payable
- Oversee all accounts payable functions to ensure that vendors are paid in a timely accurate manner across the NDN Ecosystem.
- Manage complete and accurate supporting information for all accounts payables transactions in accordance with fiscal policies and procedures.
- Accounts Receivable
- Oversee all accounts receivable functions to ensure that the NDN Ecosystem is paid in a timely accurate manner.
- Manage complete and accurate supporting information for all accounts receivable transactions in accordance with fiscal policies and procedures.
- Payroll preparation and administration
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Process and submit statutory and benefits remittances on time.
- Issue annual reports.
- Accounts Payable
- Other duties as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
Education, Experience, Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, finance, business management/administration, or a related field is required.
- Three to five years of progressive financial responsibility.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Generally accepted accounting principles
- Federal and state legislation affecting nonprofits.
- Nonprofit sector and nonprofit accounting.
- Operations and services of finance and accounting.
- Terminology and practices of financial and account document processing and recordkeeping, including accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Business mathematics and financial and statistical techniques.
- Principles and practices of providing a high level of customer service.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Relevant occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Modern office practices and methods related to the work.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication abilities and experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to manage multiple deadlines and be highly detail-oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to NDN Collective’s mission.
- Ability to work well independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Ability to supervise and highly performing team.
Proficiency in the use of computer programs for:
- Word processing
These values are important to this role:
- Accountability: Answerable for personal actions and take responsibility for others’ actions. The ability to follow through on commitments and take initiative when necessary.
- Innovation: Extending beyond daily responsibilities and routines offering new, bold, value-added ideas beneficial to the organization.
- Professionalism: Respectfully and cooperatively works with others to accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Visioning : Ability to see the large picture, moving with others to create and realize a shared future.
- Sustainability : Capacity to produce, thrive and endure in the midst of uncertainty and constant change.
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience, at GS level 12, ranging from $68,000 to $89,000. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plan, a wellness program, personal leave and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Controller– [YOUR NAME].” As a single PDF attachment, include:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- Short answers to the following questions:
- How does your indigeneity inform your current work and your interest in the position?
- What is your philosophy about financial management?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- NDN Collective conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
- What is the best advice you ever received?
- In the body of the email, please copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address.
As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered.
NDN Collective is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is NDN Collective’s policy to comply with all federal, state, tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, NDN Collective is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any NDN Collective supervisor, co-worker, vendor or client.